Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Garden Giveth!

Last night I picked 3 more zucchini, about 6 semi-ripe Roma tomatoes, and maybe 2 dozen grape tomatoes. I picked some under ripe Romas so that it's less stress on my already stressed out plants (because I haven't been great at pruning them) and because they can ripen off the vine. We also have lots of string beans - last weekend I made some into a quiche with whatever greens (beet greens to be exact) and broccoli I had left over from last week's CSA share.

It's safe to say, Morgan and I have enough vegetables to sustain ourselves for a while.

In addition to what we're growing, we also pick up our CSA every Tuesday. Yesterday, I picked up 2 heads of lettuce (yum! You'd be surprised how much we love lettuce), more beets (uh oh, I still haven't consumed last week's beets...and I say "I" and not "we" because Morgan won't go near it), Kale, Swiss chard, scallions, carrots, zucchini (lord, help me to consume these thy gifts!), parsley, and something else green...

I still feel like this is just the beginning of the tomatoes. I see plenty of green tomatoes on the vines and even more flowers turning into fruit. Suffice to say, no matter how much we love grape tomatoes, 5 plants is too much for us!

Is it too soon to buy my canning equipment?

No comments:

Post a Comment