Thursday, May 24, 2012

Rain, Rain...It's Good for the Garden!

It's been raining all week here. It stopped for a few hours here and there, but for the most part we're getting a lot of rain this week and this month in general. I stopped by the garden once this week just to check in and, sure enough....there were more weeds! They were growing through the mulch! And birds were having a field day in the straw and hay. I'll admit that it looked sweet at first. But birds can't be good for the garden. For starters, they eat worms and worms are good for the garden. Worms loosen the soil when they move and they (ahem) "excrete nutrients" into the soil.

So this weekend, if the rain ever let's up, we'll be mulching more. Apparently what's good for the tomatoes/peppers/eggplant/etc is also good for the weeds. I may have said this before, but I think tilling the soil must've stirred up a lot of weed seeds. Apparently, even a little bit of light will allow them to germinate.

Next year, I will use black plastic after tilling to prevent (I'd hate to say "kill") any weeds that might be trying to germinate.

No comments:

Post a Comment